CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 14, 2008

No More Bottle?

I went to the periodontist a few weeks ago (just another one of the perks of pregnancy - my pregnancy with Jackson, that is!), and met with Dr. Gantes, a very French man. I figured this was going to work out well because I love French music. That counts, doesn't it? Well, I sit down and we start talking about Jackson. Dr. Gantes then proceeds to tell me that I need to get Jackson off the bottle immediately in order to not confuse him with the two types of swallowing that humans do. Apparently when he drinks a bottle he swallows one way, and when he swallows food, he swallows another way. Dr. Gantes said that he used to be a child dentist, which he misses by the way, and that if I don't get him off the bottle soon, it will mess up his teeth. Great! Not the best thing to tell someone that is obsessed with teeth! Then Dr. Gantes finally asks me, "So what did you come in for?" and my immediate response was, "For parenting advice, obviously!" It was said in good fun, and we shared a chuckle. : )

On a more serious note, my little, chubby Jackson hasn't been very interested in taking his bottle lately. He takes his morning bottle and his middle of the night bottle well, but the in between ones aren't so fun. Is he trying to tell me something? Dr. Gantes would be so happy.

4 comments:

themonteleones said...

That seems crazy to me. My doctors always said they need as much formula/milk as possible until at LEAST 12 months!!! I'm sure that is where he is getting most of his nutrition, what else would you do...put formula in a sippy cup????

Mommy said...

It should make for a good transition off the bottle.

zaffie said...

my opinion is that he is too young to take his bottle away I agree with themonteloeones
I would get a second opinion but I think the idea is crazy

Jeana said...

That's nuts! I just took Abby off the bottle yesterday and she just turned 16 months old on Tuesday. My mom and all the "older" women I know say that they think that is too young! Get a second opinion!!!:)