It never ceases to amaze me how fast the summer flies by and here I am back to a new school year. I can't believe this is my 10th year teaching!! While it can be an exciting time of year, I hate to leave Jackson every time I have to go to work. I feel like I can't kiss him enough or snuggle him enough before I have to walk away. I know it's good for me to get out and have some other purpose to my life, but it's still hard. : (
It seems like we're going to have a fun class this year. Maybe it's because I'm a mom now, but I felt really connected to the kids today. It was the first day I had met most of them, but I feel like I have an important job. Not only is it my job to teach them, but it's also my job to keep them safe and protected throughout their day. Jason, our problem child, came up to me today at the end of the day and told me that I was a nice teacher. It's all I needed to hear to grab a hold of that child and pull him under my wing. I've always had a soft spot for the kids that struggle, the kids that life has been cruel to. My goal this year is to get those problem kids to feel like our classroom is a place of safety and a place where they can come and know that they're loved. I know I have my work cut out for me, but I love a good challenge. I felt like a mom today, not only to Jackson, but to our 35 (yes, 35!) fourth graders. It's going to be hard to try and nurture them all, but I hope I can give a little bit of myself to each one of them as I hope Jackson's teachers will do for him in the future.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Back In The Saddle
Posted by jackson'smama at 10:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
So let me get this straight...You'll be nurturing them while my mom will be tearing their heart out!!!
Have a great school year!!
I hope my girls have great teachers... just like you!
that's so great! I wish I had a teacher like you growing up. :)
Dang Azure, this wasn't even one of your Happy 11th month old post and your still making me cry. You are so good. I am so lucky to have you as my sister-in-law and my kids are BLESSED to have you as their Auntie.
Trust me . . . as we mothers all know, everything changes when you have a child. You were a good teacher before - now you have an added layer of awareness.
that's so nice to hear. i hope my kids get a teacher like you, just not your partner;-)
xoxo mom!!
If I had a blog, I'd say the same things as you about our class. They know I'm only kidding when I threaten to rip their hearts out!!!! Besides, w/ 35 kids, there isn't enough room to even raise your hand to smack one of them. You have to walk sideways w/ your arms taped to your side to get anywhere. These kids are big and there's NO room!!! It's gonna be a great year, Azure. Thanks for the positive vote, Paige and Kelsey.
From already seeing you in action...I know these kids are pretty darn lucky to have you as a teacher!! Hope you have a great school year!! =-)
Post a Comment