As you all know, Jackson is my first child, my baby, my everything. So...you shouldn't be surprised to know that I have completely and utterly spoiled him. For the past year, I have rocked him to sleep, got him when he cried in the middle of the night, etc. To be totally honest, I have loved every minute of it, but I knew that it wasn't the best thing for either Jackson or me. I am a firm believer that I will know when the time is that I have to give something up, not because the doctor or the book say to, but because I feel like I'm ready.
To make a long story short, I decided about a week ago that Jackson needed to be able to go to bed awake, but tired, and comfort himself to sleep. If you know Jackson, you know that he's not very good at comforting himself, never has been. Can you sense my apprehension here? He's my first child, so hearing him cry is like pure torture.
I finally decided it was time. I went into his room, turned on some soothing music, kissed him and loved him up as much as I could, put him in his crib (which he immediately threw a hissy fit), and I walked out of the room. He cried for 8 minutes (which was pure torture for me), and then there was silence. What a beautiful sound. I waited a good 25 minutes before I went in to check on him, and this is what I found...
He was sound asleep against his bumper. The red line on his head is not a scratch, but a mark from leaning his head up against the crib.
The second night, Jackson cried the second we crossed the threshold of his room because he knew what he was in for. Again, I put on the music, loved him up, put him in his crib, and walked out. About two minutes later...silence.
The third night, he cried for maybe 30 seconds.
The fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh, he didn't cry at all! Some nights he falls asleep after I lay him down, and he stays laying down. Others, he falls asleep like this...
He truly has mastered the art of falling asleep sitting up. Why won't he just lay down?! We have captured a victory, and we're holding on to it for dear life. We are currently tackling sleeping through the night, and the first night he woke up 6 times, and now we're down to one. Slowly but surely, mom is cutting the umbilical cord. I love him.
9 comments:
Good for you. It is tough, but it sounds like you have gotten through the rough stretch;-)
He is so cute;-) Love the pictures of him sleeping standing up;-)
xoxo
Kelsey
He's pitiful . . . how sad is it that he sleeps sitting up!? Gotta love the little stubborn boy.
See we knew that you could do it. You have that mastered now. So you are good for about a year in a half and then you have to do it all over again when he gets into a big boy bed. But by that time, you will be a champ at it. Love the pics.
LOL!! I love the pics of him sleeping sitting up...it's good practice for when he's in school and the lesson is boring (sorry teachers:))
Sounds like the hard part is over. Can you write a book for me or a cliff note version?
Azure, I like your method, as well as my girls'. They are allowed to cry for 10 minutes. You go in, tell them you love them, it's for their own good, and it's tough love. Good night. Works every time. He is pitiful sleeping against the bumper, but oh so cute.
I went thru this when I baby sat but I gave in I coud not see him cry I guess I am weak but it is funny how he sleeps standing up
sounds like you're doing great!!! Maybe he needs one of those boppy type things...he just likes to sleep upright!
Very sweet... I always look forward to your posts!
Azure! That is so cute! Wow, he is a determined boy (yet oddly adaptive). I couldn't find my Google name, so I'm anonymous today. Also, LOVED Jackson as headlining dance sensation, J.C. the Elf! Oh my gosh, you have to save that somewhere, priceless!
Love, Aunt Betsy
Post a Comment