CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 17,2007 - Jackson Chance's Birthday!


He's finally here! I can't believe it. I've been pregnant forever and have been waiting forever for this special day, and it finally arrived.

The fun started at 5a.m. I woke up with contractions that were 6 minutes apart. They were mildly painful, but nothing to shout about. Within 30 minutes, they were getting more intense and only about 2-3 minutes apart. We went to the hospital, checked in, and were escorted to a labor room. At this point, I am dialated 3cm, and my contractions are 1 min. apart. It was at this time that I realized what everyone was talking about when they talk about the pain of childbirth! I thought I was going to die, but kept myself reserved and cool because, really, what else was I going to do?? Jackson was coming out one way or another!

The medical staff at the hospital was surprised how much I was contracting on my own. They usually administer Pitocin, which helps contractions. I apparently didn't need it at this point. I quickly progressed to 5 where my contractions were 30 seconds apart and giving me no rest, and then they gave me the epidural. The man or woman that invented that drug should be a gajillionaire living the good life somewhere. Almost instantaeously, I couldn't feel a thing. That includes my legs, which quickly turned from legs into 1000 pound tree stumps. That is a weird feeling in itself.

So at this point, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm progressing well, and my doctor thinks Jackson will be born by 5p.m. All of a sudden, my nurse runs to the phone in the room and says, "All available nurses to Room 7." I'm thinking, "Hey wait, that's my room!" Six nurses come rushing in each with a task at hand. One threw an oxygen mask on my face, another jumped on top of me and stabbed me with a needle in the shoulder. One broke my water, and the others were holding me down. It was very kung fu! After they got things under control, they told me that I had a contraction that lasted 5 minutes long and put so much stress on Jackson that his heart rate dropped drastically! It was a scary experience, but I had confidence that the nurses knew what they were doing. Thank God, they did!

I finally got to 7cm and stayed there for over 6 hours!!! My doctor came in after 5hrs. and mentioned that Jackson was probably turned the wrong way and needed to come out via c-section. At this point, I had been in labor for about 15 hours and was ready to move to the next level. I did not want to have a c-section, but I was still 3cm away from 10 and I was over it. My doctor really didn't want to have to do a c-section, but I was like, "Let's do it!" She was pretty confident that he wasn't going to come out on his own so they wheeled me down to surgery for my c-section.

Being in an operating room is a surreal experience, especially with all these medical shows on now. I was laying there on the table realizing that I was the patient and about to have a surgery. Just like earlier, it was like kung fu in there. There were about 8 people in the room each doing their own jobs. The anesthesiologist was a God-send! He was an older gentlemen that was very calm and soft-spoken. He explained everything that was happening and what to anticipate. He put an oxygen mask on my face and stapped both of my arms down to wingspan side tables. I could not move or speak if my life depended on it.

And so the surgery began. I hardly felt a thing! As the doctor started the surgery and made her cuts, she said that Jackson was staring right up at her. After a few tugs and pulls, Jackson Chance made his entrance into the world at 8:15p.m. weighing a hefty 8lbs. 14oz. (OMG!) and 20 3/4 inches long. Hearing him cry for the first time is a sound that will never escape me. What an awesome sound! Because I was strapped down and masked, I could not see him. He was shown to me briefly, but I couldn't see him that well. He was whisked off to be suctioned and then taken down to the nursery. I was sewn up and wheeled to a recovery room.

It was about 12:30a.m when I finally got to hold my baby boy. He was beautiful, and absolutely perfect! I just stared at him for about a half hour. I couldn't believe that God had given me this little guy. What a miracle he is, and my heart bursts with love for him more and more each day. Thank you Lord for letting me be his mommy!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you're a trooper. What an ordeal! Congratulations!